Flax seeds for hair growth are gaining attention for the array of benefits they offer. These tiny seeds are rich in vitamins B, E, and omega 3 fatty acids (1). Regular use of flax seeds helps maintain a smooth hair texture and nourishes hair follicles. In this article, we have discussed how you can use flax seeds to improve hair health and promote hair growth through natural remedies. Read on to know more.
What Is It?
Flat, oval-shaped seeds whose oil or gel can be applied for hair health.
What Are Its Benefits?
It can prevent premature hair graying, reduce hair fall, strengthen hair, and promote hair growth.
Who Can Use It?
While it is safe to be used on all hair types, those with damaged hair and scalp might find it beneficial.
You can consume 1-2 tablespoons of flaxseed a day or apply the oil or gel to your hair daily or as needed.
Avoid using flaxseed if you experience any digestive issues or skin allergies.
Why Are Flax Seeds Good For Hair Growth?
1. Great Source Of Vitamin E
Vitamin E contributes to hair growth because of its strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which prevent hair and scalp damage (2). Vitamin E can also help prevent premature graying due to oxidative stressi XA discrepancy between antioxidant defenses and free radicals in the body that lead to cell damage and various diseases. (3).
2. Rich In B Vitamins
Deficiency in B vitamins (riboflavin, folate, biotin, and vitamin B12) is associated with hair loss (4). Flax seeds are rich in vitamin B12, biotin, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, and folic acid (1). Consuming flax seeds can help replenish the low B vitamin levels, strengthen your hair, and promote hair growth.
3. Rich In Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. This polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) helps lower inflammation in the body, which can help reduce hair loss and hair weakness (5).
4. Replete With Protein
Protein is essential for hair growth. Flax seeds are a vegan/vegetarian and gluten-free source of protein (6). Consuming flax seeds helps reach the recommended daily protein intake easily, which, in turn, helps strengthen the hair.
5. Balance pH Levels And Oil Production
Anecdotal evidence suggests that flax seeds can help balance the scalps pHi XA scale used to identify the acidity or basicity of a substance by measuring the potential of hydrogen ions in it. levels and oil production. These factors directly affect the rate at which your hair grows and its health. Flax seeds soothe the scalp and help calm the sebaceous glands so that they produce the right amount of oil for healthy hair growth.
6. Keep Your Hair Conditioned
Flax seeds help condition your hair, making it smooth and manageable. They help bind moisture to the hair shafts, controlling breakage, split ends, dryness, and frizz.
7. Soothe The Scalp
An itchy or sensitive scalp can weaken the hair follicles, leading to hair loss. Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help soothe scalp inflammation and sensitivity.
These are the 7 ways flax seeds benefit hair growth. But how can you use flax seeds for hair growth? Check out the following section to know more.
How To Use Flax Seeds For Hair Growth
1. Flax Seed Oil For The Hair
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil
- A hot towel
Processing Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the flax seed oil in a bowl for a few seconds until it is slightly warm.
- Massage this oil onto your scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Apply it to your hair lengths.
- Wrap your hair with a hot towel. You can heat the towel in the oven, dip it in hot water, or use a blow dryer to heat it.
- Wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Do this 2-3 times a week.
How This Helps
The heat from the oil and the hot towel enables the goodness of flax seeds to penetrate your hair roots and shafts. Using flax seeds for hair nourishes your scalp and hair and helps in healthy hair growth.
2. Flax Seed Hair Gel
You Will Need
- 1/4 cup of flax seeds
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Processing Time: 5 minutes
- Boil the water and flax seeds in a pot until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Add the lemon juice and stir the liquid.
- Turn off the heat once the liquid reaches a gel-like consistency. Set it aside to cool.
- Strain and collect this gel in a jar.
- Use it to style your hair every morning. You can also use it as a topical treatment for your scalp to boost hair growth.
- Repeat this daily
How This Helps
This natural hair gel does not leave product buildup in your hair and boosts hair growth.
These are the two ways you can use flax seeds for hair growth. However, consuming flax seeds is more effective in aiding hair growth. Here are the various ways to add flax seeds to your diet for better hair quality.
How To Include Flax Seeds In Your Diet For Hair Growth
1. Eat Raw Flax Seeds
- Consume 2 tablespoons of raw flax seeds daily when you need a snack.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of flax seeds over stir-fried vegetables.
- Add a spoonful of flax seeds to your salads.
2. Ground Flax Seeds
Grinding flax seeds to a fine powder makes it easy to include in your diet. Grind the flax seeds and store the powder in an airtight jar. Keep it refrigerated and use in the following ways:
- Add the flax seed powder to your oatmeal or soup.
- You can also add the powder to smoothies, cookies, muffins, or milk.
3. Flax Seeds And Yogurt
This is one of the most delicious flax seed snacks out there.
You Will Need
- 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and serve.
If you do not like how flax seeds taste, you can consume their nutritional supplements.
Consuming flax seeds is good for your hair and overall health. However, it comes with a set of side effects. Scroll down to know what they are.
Probable Side Effects You Should Know
- Stomach cramps
- Low blood pressure
- Increase in estrogeni XFemale sex hormones responsible for the development of sexual characteristics and maintenance of reproductive health. levels, which is unfavorable during pregnancy.
- May interact with blood thinners and medicines for diabetes.
- Topical application may cause skin irritation.
Note: Stop using or consuming flax seeds immediately if you experience any of the above symptoms. Consult a doctor if things get severe.
Infographic: DIY Flaxseed Oil Hair Masks
Flaxseed and its oil are replete with beneficial nutrients that can help you achieve healthy, shiny mane. You can use this wonderful oil alone or mix it with your DIY hair mask recipes to maximize its benefits. Discover how you can achieve silky, strong hair by using these easy yet effective hair mask recipes listed in the infographic below.
Flaxseeds are rich in vitamins B, E, and omega 3 fatty acids. Incorporating flaxseeds into your hair care routine can help improve your hair health and reduce hair loss. Using flaxseeds for hair may help prevent hair damage, improve scalp health, strengthen your hair, condition the hair, and balance the pH levels. You may use flaxseeds for hair growth as an oil or hair gel. Including it in your diet may also help you reap maximum benefits. Discontinue the use if you experience any side effects. Additionally, you also need to consume a healthy diet, keep yourself hydrated, and follow simple hair growth tips, like avoiding heat damage, for optimal hair health.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does flaxseed cause hair loss?
Though it is uncommon, flax seeds may cause the scalp to become itchy and irritated. If you scratch your scalp aggressively, it could lead to hair follicle damage, indirectly causing hair loss. Perform a patch test to check for irritation or allergic reactions before applying flax seeds to your hair for hair loss prevention.
How long does homemade flaxseed gel last?
Homemade flaxseed gel lasts for about a week or two. But, if you add essential oils to it, it may last for 3-4 weeks when refrigerated.
Can I leave flaxseed gel overnight on hair?
Yes, you may leave flaxseed gel on your hair overnight. It is often used as a leave-in conditioner. However, rinse it off immediately if you experience any irritation or itchiness.
Can I apply flaxseed gel to wet hair?
Yes. In fact, it is ideal to apply flaxseed gel to wet hair as it is easier to work it through the strands.
Does flaxseed gel thicken hair?
Flaxseed gel helps strengthen hair strands and promotes hair growth. Hence, it also may help make your hair appear thicker.
Does flaxseed make your hair curly?
No, flaxseed does not make your hair curly. However, it can add definition and bounce to curly hair and make it frizz-free.
- Flaxseeds are rich in vitamins E and B, omega-3 fatty acids, and protein.
- They help soothe the scalp and maintain its pH and oil balance while conditioning and moisturizing the hair strands.
- Including flax seeds in your diet, along with the usage of flaxseed oil and gel, can help nourish and strengthen your hair from within.
In this exciting video, discover the wonders of a DIY flaxseed gel! Dive into a natural journey and unveil the secrets to healthier hair!
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Flaxseeda potential functional food source,
- Effects of Tocotrienol Supplementation on Hair Growth in Human Volunteers,
- Oxidative Stress in Ageing of Hair,
- The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review,
- Nutrition of women with hair loss problem during the period of menopause,
- Seeds, flaxseed,
The post How To Use Flax Seeds For Hair Growth if you like this post then share this post with your friends and family